Preparing your vehicle for a winter road trip
Preparing Your Vehicle for a Winter Road trip
Winter isn’t over yet; some of us in BC are just starting to see signs of winter! The BC highway passes will continue to have snowy conditions for quite some time, so its best to be prepared for it. While road trips can be exciting, fun and sometimes necessary whether it be for work or pleasure, not having your vehicle ready for the environment can create major problems for you which can be avoided. Follow a checklist and make sure your car or truck is winter ready!
- Take your vehicle in for a check-up or check yourself if you can. Check your brakes, lights, oil, tires, exhaust system, heater and defroster.
- Have your battery tested, especially if its an older battery.
- Check your belts and hoses for wear, replace if necessary.
- Have your vehicles’ oil changed if need be and use the correct oil for winter conditions.
- Check your antifreeze level in your radiator, top up if need be.
- Replace any worn out wiper blades, you will need them to do their job in the event of a rain or snow storm.
- Check your gas tank and keep it at least half full to keep your gas lines from freezing in cold temperatures. Condensation can build up in the lines and freeze.
- Check your windshield washer fluid and use a fluid rated for a minimum of -40 degrees Celsius.
- Check your tires, replace them if they are worn. Check your tire pressure often throughout your trip as tire pressure can decrease in cold weather.
After completing this checklist, you should also have a winter road trip kit ready too. Be prepared for emergencies and for the unexpected. Make sure you check the highway conditions before you leave, and if need be, change your plans. If possible, avoid driving at night. We want you to get to your destination safely!
If there is anything we at Chilliwack Volkswagen can help you with from winter tires to an alignment or a full checkup, please don’t hesitate to give us a call and we’ll be happy to help with all of your winterizing needs.