Winter Road Trip Kit
Your Winter Roadtrip Kit
B.C. winters can be unpredictable, and so can the highways. Being prepared is key in these situations. Along with some items that you can pack with you for your journey, you will also need to be mentally prepared to drive in winter conditions.
Make sure that you drive so you have control of your vehicle at all times. Set a reasonable pace for yourself and a schedule that will allow for some delays. This way you don’t need to rush and can get where you are going safely. Check the weather forecast before you leave; things can change and you don’t want to be caught in a winter storm unexpectedly and have to turn back or worse, get stuck.
There are some important items that you should be sure to bring with you on your winter travels:
- We rarely leave the house without our phones but be sure to have your phone with you as well as a charger you can plug into your car
- GPS is a useful technology to have available to you but bring a paper map as well in case your GPS fails you or you are out of satellite range
- Have an ice scraper and extra washer fluid, as you will be using both regularly
- Jumper cables are a smart item to have with you, you never know when you might need them, or you could help someone else who is in trouble
- Emergency car kit (flashlight, air compressor, first aid kit, jack)
- Winter survival kit (water, flares, thermal blanket, snacks) In case you get stuck and need to stay put for a length of time before help arrives
- Have some sand or kitty litter in case you get stuck in a slippery spot.
Write yourself a list, make sure you have these items with you if you are venturing out on a winter road trip. Being prepared for any situation is important in winter conditions and will help to keep you safe.